Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Journey to Library World

The Library Routes Project is intriguing ... and what a great opportunity to contribute... so here goes!

Once upon a time ... oh wait that's another story! My journey begins a long time ago in another lifetime, when I was finishing my college degree. My best friend was staying at the University of Idaho to complete her masters in library science, while I was going forward to be a teacher and "save the world!" However, there was a niggling that started at that time in my brain -- and it kept saying -- library -- library!

I had always been interested in the library and as a young girl had helped my Great Aunt, off and on, at the public library. But still I was young and eager to get going so I did. I taught home economics in a small town in Idaho for about 4 years -- which was a great experience as I created and implemented a new program for grades 7-12, as well as encountered the joy being a coach for girls basketball and volleyball. It was here I met my first husband, and soon after we were married, moved to central Washington state, where I taught school for another 11 years. And interestingly, all that time, there was still the niggling -- library -- library!

In 1986, I took a year's sabbatical from teaching to start my own business and explore the world of technology which at that time was quite quaint! I was fascinated by creating my own programs and the ability to do desktop publishing! This led to the opening of a small writing and editing service. I did this part-time, while teaching full time for a couple of years, then part-time on each job for a couple of years, and finally took the plunge to be on my own, full time. This was a gratifying experience and for the next 15 years my focus. Still, there was that niggling -- library -- library!

One day during this time I returned to the public library for some research and discovered the disappearance of the card catalog! Yikes! I had been so proud of myself for mastering the search tool. I was greatly saddened -- as well as frustrated by the electronic monstrosity that now seemed very daunting!!

A few years later, as fate would have it, I was single again and found the desire to have a "regular pay check". This time I paid attention to the niggling -- library -- library! A part-time, evening circulation position at the local community college opened -- I applied and was offered the job! What excitement! Finally, I was going to be working in a library. Well, the flood gates opened, I blossomed -- and the journey began in earnest!

After working in that position for a short time, the head circulation position opened -- I jumped in with both feet. I was learning and growing in my knowledge about the inner workings of the library and in seventh heaven! I integrated my customer-focused service adopted in my previous career pathways into the new daily routine. Next the cataloging position was available -- once again I jumped into this one with the same fervor as the other two.

Now in my early 50's, I decided it was time to take the plunge -- librarianship is where I need to spend my remaining productive years. So I researched online ALA accredited degree programs and made my choice! Within two years I had a degree and a library job that is utilizing education and business skills that I have acquired over the years. As Continuing Education Consultant for the Idaho Commission for Libraries, I am responsible for ensuring the Idaho library community has access to a virtual buffet of professional development opportunities to meet their current and future needs.

On one hand there is a small sadness for not taking the step sooner -- however, on the other hand, this is such a great time to be a librarian. The opportunity to be a change agent, rather than the one who has to change -- is truly invigorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment